Wednesday, January 20, 2010


This is the Gota Sheddho that I made. Was super easy but I had to hunt around for some of the ingredients over here.
Let me warn you, this takes quite a long time to make so I suggest just letting it sit on the stove top on low heat and you can definitely do a whole list of things!

This recipe makes enough for 1 person. So adjust the proportions accordingly

Ingredients:

Whole Moong Dal, 1 cup
Mustard Oil, 4 tbsp.
Sweet Potato, 1
Red bliss potato, 1 small
Yukon Gold potato, 1 small
Eggplant, 1 small
Dried red chillies, I like it spicy so I put around 6

The following ingredients you are not supposed to add but I did because I had no other vegetables to include:

Onions, 1, quartered
Celery, large dice, 1 stalk
Carrots, 1, large dice
Snow peas, 1 cup, left whole.

Method of Preparation:

  • Dry roast the Daal in a deep pan. Stir for about 5-10 minutes until fragrant.
  • Add 2 tbsp. mustard oil and about 1 cup water.
  • Add the rest of the vegetables and do not add the chillies.
  • Add 1 cup water.
  • Cover and let it sit on low heat. Will take about 1-2 hours.
  • Once the Daal is cooked add 2 tbsp. mustard oil and the dry red chillies.
  • Cover and let it cook for about 10-15 minutes.
  • Take off heat and you are supposed to cool it and have it cold the next day, but I was too greedy to do that and ate it with some rice.

This is a very very easy recipe with a lot of flavour and has lots of vegetables. A complete meal!







No comments:

Post a Comment