Monday, March 22, 2010


Blazing Hot Chicken Jhol
This recipe is probably one of my favorites. It reminds me not only of home but also comes out very close to the original recipe. I make this chicken jhol when I am hungry and when I am homesick. It is Blazing hot because I add a lot of chilli powder to the recipe, but it can be adjusted to suit individual tastes.
The word jhol, is a Bengali word, meaning a water based sauce flavored with onions, ginger, garlic and a wide variety of spices. It is this perfect harmony of the spices that appeals to not only the tastebuds but to your other senses as well. It seems to be that spices have what we call " a perfect marriage". None are over powering and even if you add a lot of chilli powder, you can still taste the hint of ginger or onion and that smithering of garlic. You can also distinguish the cumin and coriander and all this contributes to this wonderful amalgamation of flavors. It is definitely a treat best enjoyed with hot white rice. A kind of rice that absorbs the jhol perfectly and plumps up the grain. Just writing this is making my mouth water and I feel like cooking this again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment